font-awesome-load
material-design-icons-load
 
 

Hilde Lotz-Bauer

Churches

The décor of the Florentine Baptistery was commissioned by the guild of linen drapers and peddlers, which was rich in tradition (south door in bronze: Andrea Pisano, 1336; north portal in bronze: Lorenzo Ghiberti, completed in 1424; paradise door: Lorenzo Ghiberti, completed in 1452). The entire building is covered with geometric cladding of white and green marble. The transition from the so-called protorenaissance through the Gothic era to the Early Renaissance is visible in the décor and the structure of the building. The cathedral dome, the masterpiece completed by Filippo Brunelleschi in 1436, shapes the skyline of Florence, together the Baptistery and the Campanile by Giotto. From the Giotto tower, Lotz-Bauer photographed the majestic dome and the hills of Fiesole and Settignano. Hardly anyone would suspect the church constructed by Filippo Brunelleschi in 1444 behind the 18th century façade of Santo Spirito. With San Lorenzo (1421 onwards), Brunelleschi had already experimented with a church with three naves. In Santo Spirito, he goes further still in the unification of the interior. Almost 40 years later, Giuliano da Sangallo built the sacristy with an octagonal layout. The double pilasters on the walls are devoid of any tectonic function and serve purely decorative purposes in pietra serena.


The baptistery from southeast

The baptistery from northwest

The apse of the baptistery

The north portal of the baptistery

The cupola of Santa Maria del Fiore

The cathedral from the south

The cupola of the choir

View of the cupola from the campanile

East façade of Santo Spirito

The intersection of Santo Spirito

Right aisle in Santo Spirito

Right transept in Santo Spirito

Left aisle in Santo Spirito

The vestry in Santo Spirito




X

The baptistery from southeast

© KHI in Florence | 10.12.2019 00:57:19