Casa Zuccari


Federico Zuccari was born in 1540 as the son of the painter Ottaviano Zuccari and his wife Antonia Negri in Sant’Angelo in Vado (Le Marche). One of his seven brothers, Taddeo, who had already made a name for himself as a painter in Rome, took him on as an apprentice. Federico’s first personal commission, for the facade of a private Roman house, immediately brought him public recognition and was followed by further commissions. After Taddeo’s death in 1566, Federico inherited his incomplete commissions. In the years that followed, he was able to gain international recognition as well. In 1575, he was commissioned to complete the frescoes that Vasari had started on the inside of the dome of Brunelleschi's cathedral in Florence. During his stay in Florence, he bought the house in the then Via del Mandorlo in 1577, which he lived in after marrying Francesca Genga in May 1578. After the disappointing unveiling of the dome frescoes in 1579, he departed for Rome to complete the decoration of the Cappella Paolina, started by Michelangelo. For his work on the high altar of the church in the Escorial (1585-88) for King Philip II of Spain, he was awarded the title of a Spanish court painter. After returning to Rome, he built the Palazzo Zuccari from the year 1591 on (today owned by the Bibliotheca Hertziana). However, this work was so expensive that he sold his house in Florence in 1602. Federico Zuccari died on July 20, 1609 in Ancona.

Federico Zuccari and his wife Francesca Genga (Photographer Bacherini)

© KHI in Florence | 27.09.2020 11:45:51