The Flood of 1966

Cimabue´s Crucifix

The symbol of the devastating effects of the flood is the almost complete destruction of the huge Crucifix by Cimabue. The crucifix, painted in distemper on wood (around 1272) by one of the most significant painters of the 13th century, had lost the majority of its layer of paint. The first action taken was to move this work of art from the former Santa Croce refectory to the Limonaia in the Giardino di Boboli. In 1976, the Crucifix underwent a major restoration, during which it was possible to conserve the remains of the layer of paint.

State before the flood (Photographer Bazzechi)

State after the restoration in 1977 (Photographer Artini)

The crucifix is taken down (Photographer Bazzechi)

Interim measures of protection (Photographer Bazzechi)

First measures of conservation (Photographer Bazzechi)

Transportation of the crucifix to the Giardino di Boboli (Photographer Bazzechi)

Transportation of the crucifix to the limonaia of the Giardino di Boboli (Photographer Bazzechi)

The crucifix at the limonaia (Photographer Bazzechi)

Raising of the cross (Photographer Bazzechi)

During the restoration (Photographer Bazzechi)

Restoration (Photographer Bazzechi)

© KHI in Florence | 26.09.2020 17:21:53